Thursday 28 June 2012

"Your current safe boundaries now were once unknown frontiers" (anon)



Expanding our horizons

This quote reminds me that there are always new experiences out there.

This year I celebrated my birthday by going for an early morning swim at the outdoor pool near my house before going to work. In September I will be going on a dance holiday for a whole week in Ibiza. Two years ago I couldn't have visualised doing either of those things - I told myself I couldn't swim, and I had only just signed up for my first dance weekender. 

Then I visited my friend Nadean in Turkey and discovered that for someone who couldn't swim, I'm quite the waterbaby, and discovered that dancing til dawn on a weekend away is utter bliss, so what could be better than a week of dancing in Ibiza? (there's a pool at the hotel, too, so I'll need to practise my swimming for September!)

I have recently finished knitting a hood with cables, something else I would never have envisaged myself doing a few years ago. The first few times I came across cables, I couldn't get my head around them, and the first time I attempted them, I wasn't successful. 

But then I found a pattern for a hood with cables, and I loved the pattern so much I was inspired and motivated to knit the hood, which meant I had to conquer my fear of cables. 

And now that I have become comfortable knitting cables, I want to learn to do lace patterns next. 

In 2010, I signed up to my first 5k Race for Life in Bristol, and this year is the 3rd year in a row I have done it. The first year we did it in 44 minutes, last year I did it in 42, and this year my friend Kathryn and I did it in under 40 minutes. And now that I know I can do the 5k, I want to try the 10k next year! 

We take it for granted that children will learn to walk, even though it can take babies up to 2 years to learn, but those baby steps are just the beginning, and what starts out as crawling, eventually turns into walking and skipping and running. 

We may feel comfortable where we are now, but really, in some aspects of our lives, we are just learning to walk. We may even still just be beginning to crawl, but if we remember that we learned to walk and talk, we can have faith that we will get better as long as we persist. 

We may not always be able to see the improvement with every attempt, but if we stick with it, we will find that moment when it all comes together. 

That's when we lift up our eyes to the horizon to seek the next unknown frontier to explore and conquer. 

Purlgirl xx


2 comments:

  1. L.O.V.E. this post! It's so true and could be about me as well:) but I couldn't say it the same way, as your writing is really, really beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with the world! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elke, that's so wonderful of you to say! It's really special to know that people appreciate my writing, and that they feel the same way :o)

    Purlgirl xx

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.