Friday 3 August 2012

"Savour every stitch and row - it will be over before you know it" (Purlgirl)


Knit every stitch

Recently, I knitted a baby hat for a pregnant friend, I presented it to her at a birthday party, it was passed round everyone, and everyone admired it. 

I don't have a photo of the hat. I forgot to take one because I was rushing to give it to my friend. 

The truth is, this isn't the first time I've forgotten to take a photo of an item I have knitted, even though I intend to post it to Ravelry* at some stage. It's as if the moment I finish a project, I'm racing to begin the next one. I don't take the time to savour the accomplishment, to recognise my achievement, the effort I put into creating the item. I am constantly moving the goalposts so that my goals remain just that little bit out of reach.

Taking a photo of each completed project actually slows us down and reminds us to appreciate what we have already achieved. The visual reminder is a reward, concrete proof of what we have accomplished.

We need not fear we won't achieve anything new in the future, we are simply pausing a moment to acknowledge ourselves, to restore our energy and motivation so that we can tackle the next goal with renewed vigour.

If we don't enjoy it, we will forget to appreciate it, and be rushing after the next knitting project - and forget to take a photo.

Celebrate where you are.


Purlgirl xx

*https://www.ravelry.com, a website for knitters

2 comments:

  1. Again you made me smile :) I try to do it with every painting I am painting and every other creative project I am doing and yes, it has exactly the effects you mention.
    Celebrate your creativity! Wishing you a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elke :o) It's so important that we acknowledge what we have achieved for ourselves! I wish you a lovely evening too!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.