Thursday 26 June 2014

“I think somehow we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)


My boudoir photo shoot: 

I've done a photo shoot 3 times in my life until now - when I was 22, when I was convinced I couldn't look beautiful, and ended up buying a beautiful leather book of 10 glossy photos. When I turned 30 and moved cities, changed jobs and was not able to go back to South Africa for a friend's wedding. 

And now this time. 

Each time I have had the photos taken, I've worn my own clothes and I've eventually relaxed and discovered a new side of myself. There is something liberating about seeing yourself in a new light, because it's a new photographer, you are a new person and it's a new environment. 

The first time I discovered that I am beautiful, and that I have a lovely smile and when I smile that there is a light that shines out from within. I carried that visual image around with me for 8 years, from house to house, city to city. It really struck home when I showed it to my friend, and said "but that's not really me, it's the make-up and the photographer was great" and she pointed out that the photos really *were* me, just an enhanced version of me. 

That thought has stayed with me ever since, and I still love the photos. 

When I turned 30, I felt it was time to do some more photos, to commemorate the way my life had changed, and to recognise that I had reached a milestone, turning 30 and seeing myself as a woman. The photos are beautiful, they were done with various backgrounds and in colour, black & white and sepia. They look like a photo shoot from a magazine, and I love them - they show a woman, who had blossomed and grown into a new person. 

And now, 6 years later, I decided it was time to do another set. A few reasons contributed to this, my brother getting married earlier this year, and being bridesmaid on the day, brought me to the realisation that whilst weddings are beautiful occasions, I don't need to wait until my wedding day to do a photo shoot to celebrate my femininity and to feel comfortable in my own skin. 

I'd looked into professional photographers, but when I mentioned this idea to a friend, it came to light that she was interested in doing this, and so I booked  a session. 

I'm so glad I did, doing a photo shoot with a close friend is very different, not least because they know you, and that brings a very different dimension to the experience. It allows you to be yourself, because they know you and your style and can suggest new ideas and ways to be. 

I'm excited to see how these photos develop, it will be a visual record of how I have grown and changed and evolved over time. 

I look forward to having a new visual image to carry around in my head with me of this person that I have become, and wonder what the next photo shoot will celebrate. 

Purlgirl xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.