Tuesday 26 May 2015

"With all there is, why settle for just a piece of sky?" (Alan & Marilyn Bergman)*


Finding my wings

I believe swimming may be the nearest we can come to flying.
 
I love to swim - I love to spend time in the water, it takes all my attention and puts me in the present moment. 
 
And I can swim at my own pace. 
 
I have discovered I like to swim underwater, and that if I swim for two strokes underwater, I can focus on the feeling of being in the water, my body feels more comfortable and sometimes I will even swim a whole length underwater (it's a small pool)
 
I could never have imagined I'd get to a stage where I felt comfortable in the water** and that I would find a swim-stroke that suits me. 
 
When I am facing a new challenge, it reminds me that if I could learn to swim, I can learn to do this. I didn't learn until I was in my 30s, and I needed private swimming lessons to get started, but since then I have continued learning to swim by myself for the past 4 years.
 
I can still remember the time and effort, the persistence and determination I put into the lessons so that I could learn to bring together all parts of the process - learning to combine my breathing with my arm and leg movements, and combining all of this to stay afloat and to learn to be in this moment, to not look at the wall, but to focus on my breath, on each stroke. 
 
I feel free in the water now, I feel graceful, even more so than I do when I'm dancing. It has taken me 10 years to develop my style, longer than some others, and I still have some way to go, but I now feel comfortable on the dance-floor.
 
My favourite bird is the red kite, it glides effortlessly and soars. I love watching these majestic birds, catching the wind to take them where they want to go.
 
Swimming is the nearest I can imagine coming to flying, especially being weightless. 
 
I have to remind myself that I *can* learn. 
 
And if I can learn to swim, I can learn to fly. 
 
Purlgirl xx
 

* Line from the lyrics to "A Piece of Sky", (1983, Sony Music Entertainment Inc), lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, music by Michel Legrand. Sung by Barbara Streisand in the film "Yentl" (1983, United Artists through MGM)

** "Your current boundaries were once unknown horizons" (anon) - a post I wrote previously about learning to swim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.