Tuesday 14 March 2017

"You can't calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass." (Timber Hawkeye)

  
I originally wrote this last November. I have retained the references to the date, since it takes me back to that day.


Buffeted by the wind

Watching the red kites over the skies of Oxfordshire today, I have realised we cannot fight the wind, or the rain. When times test us, we need to decide whether we are being presented with an opportunity, a challenge, or a learning curve.

It may be all three. During times of change or adversity, in whatever way we find them, we have the choice to learn and grow.

We have experienced some turbulent events, in 2016, especially, which have revealed to ourselves and others, who we really are and what we truly believe about the world.

Whilst this may not always have been a pleasant surprise, it shouldn't stop us from striving to live our best lives, and to continue to love and help others, and to reach out to strangers and acquaintances.

We might discover new friendships, and people who want to continue in their quest to make this a better world for everyone.

As the poet Rumi tells us "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today, I am wise, so I am changing myself."

I am coming to the realisation that there is something that I can learn from every single individual being on this planet, even if sometimes it is just to recognise that they may be showing me who I do not want to be, or to show me what I no longer want to be.

For instance, I am no longer 21. Whilst I had to be 21 to become 22, and 22 to become 23 and so on, I have no wish to be that age again. It's an age I had to experience, with lessons to learn, people to meet, and challenges to overcome, and has led me to be the person I am now, today, nearly 20 years later.

It hasn't always been plain sailing during that time, but I can say I have gained something from all of it, the good and the bad, the wise and unwise decisions I made.

Which brings me back to the kites. Today has been a blustery November day, and I noticed that when the wind is strong, the kites stretch their wings out wider, to brace themselves against the wind and stay aloft. You can almost picture their concentration and determination to hold their course, as they steady their tail feathers, and tell the wind, “I can outlast you.”

It's been fascinating to watch, and to remind me that the challenges I have overcome so far, have made me stronger and - as long as I choose to keep learning - to give me strength to face tomorrow.

After all, if I remember to take it one day at a time, I am strong enough for each day, which is all we really need: to be strong enough for today.

Purlgirl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.