Tuesday 15 August 2017

Identifying the essentials


Recently I spent some time going through my possessions, and even though it doesn't feel like I have made any progress, I filled 4 bags with items to donate to charity. I filled the bags with a variety of things - books I won't read, clothes that no longer suit me, and other items that are a part of my past. I was surprised to discover how easily I could let go of many of the clothes, even though I do not yet have suitable replacements. I came to the realisation I did not feel that they are worthy of the woman I see myself as.

It's funny; whilst I was in Germany with my parents for a week at the end of July, I wore about 2 different outfits - either jeans and a top and trainers, or leggings and a top and trainers. I had intended to buy additional items before I flew out; in the end I did not even buy them in Germany. I did not really need them in that moment. I was able to make do with what I had. Actually, wearing make-up and feeling fresh and clean was the most important. I even wore the same necklace and ear-rings every day for a week, and nobody said anything. I discovered I didn't need to try so hard. I did not need a 2nd pair of shoes I had carried with me, and when I really needed a few extra tops, I found just the right T-shirts in my size to last me the week.

In spite of the fact that I have now travelled a bit, including for work trips, I never realised before just how little I really need; what is actually absolutely essential.

Because I had sprained my ankle not that long ago, I was restricted to trainers in terms of shoes, and this did limit my wardrobe, but this was really a fortunate incident, because it meant I had less to take, and therefore, less to think about when I was there. In fact, it was ideal.

And so when I woke up on my first morning back, and opened my wardrobe, the first thing I noticed was that most of the items of clothing in there I did not want to keep. I no longer even wanted to wear them. And, instead of doing what I would previously have done, and talking myself out of this thought, I took these items of clothing out and put them straight into my bags, to donate to charity. I decided I will replace them when I need them; I wouldn't even put them aside for 6 months "just in case". I will buy new clothes in due course, and make space to allow new styles and colours to find their way to me.

It wasn't just clothes I  could get rid of though - even an old wallet that I had saved for foreign travel, and a pocket mirror that I never use, and a miniature lipstick compact that I had treasured for years, but not used in ages, went into the bags. As did a pair of evening gloves, and a sparkly crop top that I may or may not have worn to go dancing, but is no longer my style.

And whilst I hadn't known the charity shops closed at 4, and did not actually get around to taking these bags to donate and let go completely, that first weekend, placing the items in the bag in the first place, was actually, the first, most important, step.

In some instances I came to realise I had bought too many of an item, because I did not keep my belongings organised, or I had bought a new one when the previous one no longer worked, but did not dispose of the first item. Even more surprising, were some of the items I had had for years, had desperately wanted at the time, perhaps, and never even got around to opening or using, for one reason or another. The reasons aren't necessarily important, but it has made me realise I do not really need as much in terms of material possessions as I had believed, and I am happy to shed this excess weight; to begin to buy only what I need, and to be more mindful when I purchase things in future.

I'm still not entirely sure how and where to dispose of some of the items (batteries need to done separately, and I can never remember the rules about lightbulbs), but I now understand that even just separating them out and marking them to be disposed of, allows me to learn to let go and live with what I need.

Purlgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, unless otherwise stated.